Charged with father’s death, David Blakeney told relative father is ‘in a better place’

After repeated attempts at reaching 53-year-old David Blakeney, family members entered his home and found him lying dead in his bathtub, according to documents.

Police made note that Blakeney had been dead for a while due to his state of decomposition.

Blakeney was found on April 17. His son has been charged with his murder.

The coroner ruled Blakeney’s cause of death multiple sharp force injuries to the head, neck and body. The coroner noted Blakeney was stabbed more than 30 times and had defensive wounds on his fingers.

On the scene, police reported there was blood throughout the house and signs of a clean up. Police reported a trash bag with blood and clothing inside. In addition, there was a mop and bucket found across the hall from the bathroom. Further testing also found there were traces of blood in the house that couldn’t be seen by the “naked eye.”

Shortly after finding Blakeney Sr. a witness told police they received a call from David Blakeney Jr. During the call the witness asked what was going on between Blakeney Jr. and his father to which Blakeney Jr. responded, “He alright, he in a better place, he is good now.”

Blakeney Sr. was last seen a week prior to his finding. Family members told police Blakeney Sr. was at a family get together April 6 and had a bleeding mouth. When asked about it Blakeney told them he had a fight with his son, something the witness told police they had a history of doing.

A witness told police, Blakeney usually helped them sell barbeque on the weekends on Minnesota Avenue, but he never showed.

According to witness testimony, a witness told police Blakeney usually called them everyday. But in the week following the family get together Blakeney never called, and instead David Blakeney Jr. otherwise known as “Little Dave” began calling them using Blakeney Sr.’s phone

Upon investigating Blakeney Jr. police found that he had two pending warrants for his arrest. Police were then notified Blakeney Jr. was at the DC Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program (CPEP). Police located and arrested him.

Before his interrogation could begin Blakeney Jr. told police he wanted to “plead the fifth,” though before leaving the room a detective asked Blakeney about the scratches on his neck, which Blakeney said were from his girlfriend.

While in the interrogation room, police reported that Blakeney “appeared to drink his own urine” and talk to himself as if he were having an “imaginary conversation with his mother” during which he said his mother killed his father.

Blakeney Jr. is being held without bond as he faces first-degree murder while armed charges.

He is expected in court May 1 for a forensic exam.


Comment guidelines:

D.C. Witness is a place where we want our community to come to remember loved ones and comment on homicide cases. These discussions often entail topics that we all personally care a lot about and will passionately discuss. But in order for discussions to thrive here, we need to set a few ground rules. Comments will be edited or deleted if they include vulgarity, name-calling, cursing or inflammatory language. Comments that include unverified information, slander, or hateful speech will be deleted. We reserve the right to edit comments to ensure they reflect the intent of the writer but make them publishable. If you believe your comment has been edited or deleted in error, please contact Jennifer Swift,