Judge orders Quincy Green held without bail

The man who police believe removed a GPS tracking device from his prosthetic leg on the night he allegedly committed a murder was ordered held without bail Tuesday.

Judge Michael Ryan decided there was enough probable cause to hold 34-year-old Quincy Green instead of releasing him to a halfway house or tracking him with a GPS ankle brace for the second-degree murder charge against him.

Green, (also known as Wayne Wright) initially appeared in court Monday in the murder case of 44-year-old Dana Hamilton. Green is charged with second-degree murder while armed in the May 19 shooting. Ryan decided that due to Green’s extensive criminal history, releasing him under those conditions would be compromising “my ability to protect the community from him.”

On Monday the prosecution argued there was enough information to convict Green based on an eye witness account of the aftermath of the shooting and statements made by the witness accurately identifying Green as the shooter.

The defense argued there was not enough evidence because there are no known witnesses to the shooting its self, and that the statements made by the only witness are unreliable because the shooting took place at night, so it was hard to see, and the witness had not known Green for very long before the shooting.

During Monday’s hearing, the prosecution and defense questioned Detective Konstantinos Giannkoukias from the Metropolitan Police Department homicide bureau for over two hours about his involvement in the investigation of Hamilton’s murder. 

Ginnkoukias said that he and his partner, Detective James Wilson, wrote the affidavit and have been the lead investigators in this case.

According to court documents, Green was being monitored by a GPS tracking device, at the time of Hamilton’s murder, for a different offense. The GPS was attached to Green’s right leg, which is a prosthetic. Detectives believe that on the night of the homicide, Green took off the prosthetic leg with the tracking device and changed with with a spare prosthetic so he could not be monitored.

The discovery of Green’s multiple prosthetic legs was made on May 25 by Ginnkoukias and Wilson. Green was arrested for contempt of court later that day. Green was charged with Hamilton’s homicide on June 16.

Ginnkoukias was also questioned about the witness who saw Green run after the shooting. Ginnkoukias said that the witness waited five days before calling in to MPD to report that they believed Green, or “Q” as the victim referred to him, was responsible for Hamilton’s murder.

After reviewing the information presented on Monday, Ryan concluded that it would not be safe to allow Green back on D.C.’s streets.

“In my judgement,” said Ryan, “He [Green] has an inability to be supervised in the community.”

A felony status conference has been scheduled for Oct. 12 at 9:30 a.m.



Comment guidelines:

D.C. Witness is a place where we want our community to come to remember loved ones and comment on homicide cases. These discussions often entail topics that we all personally care a lot about and will passionately discuss. But in order for discussions to thrive here, we need to set a few ground rules. Comments will be edited or deleted if they include vulgarity, name-calling, cursing or inflammatory language. Comments that include unverified information, slander, or hateful speech will be deleted. We reserve the right to edit comments to ensure they reflect the intent of the writer but make them publishable. If you believe your comment has been edited or deleted in error, please contact Jennifer Swift, swift@dcwitness.org