Man charged with double homicide remains hospitalized

The man charged with the alleged murder of Clifton Francis and David Watkins Jr. had his presentment in D.C. Superior Court postponed for the second day in a row while he remains hospitalized.

It was not immediately clear if David Joshua Bright, charged with first-degree murder while armed, suffered an injury as a result of the shooting that left the two men dead or suffered an unrelated injury. Statements from police included in the arrest report did not note any injuries or struggles.

According to an arrest warrant, Bright also known as “Day-Day,” lived with Francis and Watkins at 509 58th Street, NE, along with another roommate.

According to the Washington Post, both Watkins and Francis were placed in the home through the non-profit, Friendship Place. A witness who called police to the shooting also lived inside the home.

Police responded to the home at around 1 p.m. on Feb. 18.

Upon entering the home, police found Francis’ body. According to the medical examiner’s report mentioned in the warrant, Francis died from multiple gunshot wounds to his body and face.

Police then found Watkins alive and in one of the bedrooms. Watkins would later die at the hospital from a gunshot wound.

The witness told police that “Day-Day” ran into the home and up the stairs–and then out again. He came in again and went up and down the stairs, when the witness then heard several “loud bangs” from the living room, where Francis was. The witness told police he saw “Day-Day” with a black handgun, shooting Francis at close range while yelling “This will teach you!”

The witness told police he then heard Watkins yell, “Day-Day what are you doing? You’re crazy!” According to the warrant, Bright then shot Watkins, and then pointed the gun at the witness’ head. The witness ran into a room and called police.

When police showed the witness a line up of photos, including Bright’s, he could not positively identify him. He did, however, give police a phone number that Bright uses. Bright had also filed a police report on Jan. 6 after he was the alleged victim of a theft, and gave the home where the shooting occurred as his address.

Police later received a call from another witness who told them that Bright is an extended family member and had called to say that he “had just killed two individuals from 58th and had shot on in the head and unloaded his thirty on both of them.” The family member sent police two photos of Bright, confirmed his nickname and phone number. According to the witness, Bright called less about ten minutes after police arrived on the scene.

The following day, Bright was arrested while leaving a barbershop in Maryland.


Comment guidelines:

D.C. Witness is a place where we want our community to come to remember loved ones and comment on homicide cases. These discussions often entail topics that we all personally care a lot about and will passionately discuss. But in order for discussions to thrive here, we need to set a few ground rules. Comments will be edited or deleted if they include vulgarity, name-calling, cursing or inflammatory language. Comments that include unverified information, slander, or hateful speech will be deleted. We reserve the right to edit comments to ensure they reflect the intent of the writer but make them publishable. If you believe your comment has been edited or deleted in error, please contact Jennifer Swift,