Matthew Shevlin’s alleged killer found with handgun, mason jar of marijuana

Matthew Shevlin, 37, died from two gunshot wounds including one to his head, according to the warrant for his alleged killer.

While police arrested David Davalier Nehemiah Harvey, 18, for Shevlin’s murder, they are still searching for an additional suspect, who was seen on security cameras entering Shevlin’s apartment.

According to the warrant, police responded to a report of an assault on the 400 block of M Street, NW, where gunshots were later heard. When MPD arrived, 37-year-old Shelvin was found lying on apartment steps outside with gunshot wounds. An ambulance transported him to Howard University Hospital where he later died. An autopsy revealed his cause of death was a result of the gunshot wounds.

According to the warrant, Shevlin died on the stairs across from his apartment unit. Police visited Shevlin’s own unit, where they described the unit as being “ransacked” and “rummaged” through, or appearing as though a fight had occurred inside.

Upon searching Shevlin’s apartment, police found a gun casing, “multiple large and small plants of a green weed substance,” consistent with marijuana, multiple mason jars filled with a “green weed substance,” and a storage bin full of the same substance. Cabinets were open and the apartment was in disarray.

The first officer on the scene saw Harvey fall to the ground outside of Shevlin’s apartment. Harvey told the officer that there was somebody hurt inside and people had tried to break into the apartment. Upon searching Harvey, police found a loaded handgun in his pants, multiple rounds of ammunition and a mason jar filled with a “green weed substance.” Harvey was arrested for carrying a pistol without a license, but the charge was later upgraded to first-degree murder while armed.

MPD reviewed video surveillance from security cameras outside of the apartment and saw three black males approach Shevlin’s apartment. One male used an unknown object to break into the apartment and then walked away as Harvey and another black male walked inside.

Police released a video to try to find the additional suspect, though Harvey cannot be seen.

Harvey is being held without bail and is due again in court on Feb. 12.


Comment guidelines:

D.C. Witness is a place where we want our community to come to remember loved ones and comment on homicide cases. These discussions often entail topics that we all personally care a lot about and will passionately discuss. But in order for discussions to thrive here, we need to set a few ground rules. Comments will be edited or deleted if they include vulgarity, name-calling, cursing or inflammatory language. Comments that include unverified information, slander, or hateful speech will be deleted. We reserve the right to edit comments to ensure they reflect the intent of the writer but make them publishable. If you believe your comment has been edited or deleted in error, please contact Jennifer Swift,