Milkiyas Bayisa ordered back on high intensity supervision

The man charged with the murder of Kassahun Abebe Edo was ordered back on high intensity supervision on Friday.

Milkiyas Bayisa allegedly fatally assaulted Edo on Aug. 22, 2015 in the 700 block of Fairmont Street, NW. During an altercation, Edo fell and hit his head on the sidewalk. He was taken to a hospital, but died the next day from his injuries.

Because of good behavior, Bayisa’s release conditions were modified in February. He was placed under the supervision of Pretrial Services, and removed from the High Intensity Supervision Program that required him to wear an ankle bracelet with GPS.

In Friday’s hearing, Judge Judith Bartnoff placed him back on high intensity supervision. According to a Pretrial Services, Bayisa had been arrested recently for a permit violation. The arrest violated the conditions of his release because he was arrested in the District of Columbia and at a time where he was supposed to be at home. He also did not turn in his work schedules, or follow the hours he agreed to.

Under the new conditions, Bayisa has to stay away from DC unless he is at work, and he must remain home between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. He has a trial readiness hearing set for Dec. 15, and his trial is currently set for Jan. 8, 2018.


Comment guidelines:

D.C. Witness is a place where we want our community to come to remember loved ones and comment on homicide cases. These discussions often entail topics that we all personally care a lot about and will passionately discuss. But in order for discussions to thrive here, we need to set a few ground rules. Comments will be edited or deleted if they include vulgarity, name-calling, cursing or inflammatory language. Comments that include unverified information, slander, or hateful speech will be deleted. We reserve the right to edit comments to ensure they reflect the intent of the writer but make them publishable. If you believe your comment has been edited or deleted in error, please contact Jennifer Swift,