Sentencing in Andre Herndon Jr. case delayed

The sentencing for the man charged with killing a 19-year-old last February was delayed.

Andre Herndon Jr. was due to be sentenced on charges relating to the February 2015 shooting of Navontae Howard at 10 a.m. Tuesday morning. Arrested in June 2016 in connection with Howard’s death, Herndon was charged with second-degree murder while armed.

Following a family emergency with the presiding judge, Jose M. Lopez, Herdon’s sentencing has been pushed back to an unknown date.

Prior to his death, Navontae Howard, Herndon’s victim, had clashed with the defendant in street-related conflicts. A member of the Benning/Trepark group situated in 37 Street, SE, Herndon was said to be motivated by having been previously jumped by members of Mactown. Mactown, from 34 St. and Minnesota Avenue, SE, is a longtime rival of the Benning/Trepark group, and is said to be the group with whom Howard identified.

The rival groups clashed on the 3500 block of East Capitol St. on February 3, 2015. Following verbal arguments, witnesses reported that Herndon removed a handgun and initiated shooting between the two groups.

It is unknown at this time when Herndon’s sentencing will be scheduled.

Comments

Comment guidelines:

D.C. Witness is a place where we want our community to come to remember loved ones and comment on homicide cases. These discussions often entail topics that we all personally care a lot about and will passionately discuss. But in order for discussions to thrive here, we need to set a few ground rules. Comments will be edited or deleted if they include vulgarity, name-calling, cursing or inflammatory language. Comments that include unverified information, slander, or hateful speech will be deleted. We reserve the right to edit comments to ensure they reflect the intent of the writer but make them publishable. If you believe your comment has been edited or deleted in error, please contact Jennifer Swift, swift@dcwitness.org