Witness’ testimony suggests suspect and victim fought before fatal stabbing

The trial for Delonte Wynn continued Wednesday, with a testimony by Officer John McElhenny who validated footage that appeared to show Darlene Bryant running down Wheeler Road seeking help.

Witnesses following McElhenny also attested to Bryant’s suffering, and to a masked suspect who fled the scene of the crime.

When a witness who fled the scene of the stabbing took the stand, she expressed her panic and unsureness as to whether or not to help the victim, who was running toward her and “bleeding from everywhere.” She claimed that in her panic, however, she noticed a man fleeing the scene in what appeared to be a homemade mask. Eventually, after calling 911, the witness returned to Bryant, who was dead.

Donnell Howard, another witness testified to suggest Wynn’s guilt. With shackled wrists, Howard said Bryant was a longtime friend, and around 10 a.m. on May 13, the two got high while Bryant confided in Howard that she had stolen from Wynn. The witness also claimed he overheard a phone conversation in which Wynn demanded the return of his property. Not long after Bryant confided in Howard did he see Wynn in a hooded jacket walk towards the building where the victim remained on the stairs. Moments later, Howard saw Wynn swiftly walk out of the same building wearing mask on his face and a knife up his sleeve, followed by screams from the stairwell.

The defense immediately opposed Howard’s testimony, arguing that the prosecution made promises to shorten his sentence and reward him $25,000 if his statements led to the conviction of Wynn. Howard is currently incarcerated for a separate case, and although his story has changed with every testimony, he has claimed time and time again that he was promised nothing. “You lie when you think it’s in your own interest,” the defense said to Howard, attempting to shift the blame. The defense proceeded by emphasizing a fight that broke out between the two the day before the victim’s death, Howard’s apathy towards helping Bryant when she screamed from the stairwell, and previous cases in which he has lied on record. The matter has been left up for debate.

MPD Officer Curtis Wyland was patrolling the area when he was flagged down by an unidentified woman on the street and brought to the victim. When the officer recognized a crime scene before him, he immediately checked for signs of life, taped off the area, and then followed the trail of blood back to the stairwell to see where the stabbing occurred.

Just as the day before, Bryant’s family sat in the court room as the defense and prosecution went back and forth. When pictures of the victim shortly after her death were shown to the jury, Bryant’s mother excused herself from the courtroom while her children sat and watched.

The trial will resume Thursday morning with the continued testimony of Detective David Evans, who met Bryant once before in her stairwell.


Comment guidelines:

D.C. Witness is a place where we want our community to come to remember loved ones and comment on homicide cases. These discussions often entail topics that we all personally care a lot about and will passionately discuss. But in order for discussions to thrive here, we need to set a few ground rules. Comments will be edited or deleted if they include vulgarity, name-calling, cursing or inflammatory language. Comments that include unverified information, slander, or hateful speech will be deleted. We reserve the right to edit comments to ensure they reflect the intent of the writer but make them publishable. If you believe your comment has been edited or deleted in error, please contact Jennifer Swift, swift@dcwitness.org